Monday, October 21, 2019

Getting to Know TS Librarians: Sidney Lanier


1. Introduce yourself (name & position). 
I am Sidney Lanier and I am the Catalog and Archives Librarian for Syracuse University College of Law.

2. Does your job title actually describe what you do? Why/why not?
Yes and no. We all wear many hats in our library. While I am primarily the cataloging librarian, I have certainly tried to learn some of the ins and outs of database maintenance as well because the two go hand and hand. Sometimes I work circulation and sometimes I work reference. The archival aspect of my job, while probably the most fun part of it, often gets put on the back burner because of more time-sensitive projects. I think most job titles are just an attempt at describing what someone actually does. In reality our jobs often demand cross-training and continuous learning, which I look at as a good thing.. although it can be exhausting at times.

3. What are you reading right now?
Nothing for leisure, haha. I am taking classes in the graduate school, so my free time is occupied by assigned readings and R-coding projects. I look forward to reading for pleasure again after this semester!

4. If you could work in any library (either a type of library or a specific one), what would it be? Why?
I think the library of congress is one that many of us would love to work in and I definitely would love to do that one day. On a divergent note, though, I always thought it would be great to work in one of our national parks’ libraries. The Grand Canyon National Park’s research library would be a very cool experience.  I know they get a lot of high quality research data and it would be amazing to be able to sift through some of it to contribute to our parks’ information databases and publications.  

No comments: