Monday, March 25, 2019

Getting to Know TS Librarians: Nariné Bournoutian



Introduce yourself (name & position).
Hello, all! I'm Nariné  Bournoutian. I am the Head of Continuing Resources and Collection Maintenance at Arthur W. Diamond Law Library, Columbia University. I've been at the Law Library since 2014 and in my current role since November 2018.

Does your job title actually describe what you do? Why/why not?
It definitely does! I oversee two separate units in the Technical Services department. The CR unit processes incoming print serials/microforms and communicates with vendors to ensure fulfillment of all our paid subscriptions. The Stacks unit is responsible for the physical organization of the library stacks, reshelving books, and keeping the collection updated by filing supplementation and replacing superseded volumes.

What are you reading right now?
I'm in my fifth semester of my MLIS program, which doesn't leave a lot of time for fiction reading, unfortunately. But I've been on a sci-fi short-story compendium binge lately, since it's easier than trying to intermittently read a novel. I recently finished Ken Liu's The Paper Menagerie and Other Stories and am currently working my way through The Winds of Marble Arch and Other Stories by Connie Willis. Science fiction is my favorite genre, and these stories are a welcome break from mountains of assigned reading and essays!

If you could work in any library (either a type of library or a specific one), what would it be? Why?
My undergraduate focus was film studies and I worked in my college's media library as a student. I would love the chance to work with a time-based media/AV collection again and combine my two areas of study. 

No comments: