Monday, November 18, 2019

Getting to Know TS Librarians: Joy Humphrey


1. Introduce yourself.
My name is Joy Humphrey, and I'm the Associate Director of the Harnish Law Library at Pepperdine University's Rick J. Caruso School of Law. 

2.Does your job title actually describe what you do? Why/why not?
My job title is broad, so in that sense, it does describe what I do because I'm a bit of a generalist.  At any given moment I can be fielding a question about our noise policy, originally cataloging a board game, or contacting a vendor to pay an invoice. I'm tasked with overseeing the day-to-day operations of the law library, but I am specifically over the Public Services and the Technical Services Departments.

3.What are you reading right now?
I'm on a Ruth Reichl kick right now. I recently finished Save Me the Plums, Reichl's memoir of her time as the editor of Gourmet, then I moved onto her earlier memoir Tender at the Bone, and I'm currently reading the sequel, Comfort Me with Apples. I love food memoirs, especially at this time of year since they get me pumped to do all that Thanksgiving cooking.

4.If you could work in any library (either a type of library or a specific one), what would it be? Why?
I would love to work in an art museum library.  As someone who makes a point of visiting art museums in every city she travels to, actually working in one would be divine. (I expect the reality would not match my fantasy--budgets are probably small, art books are unwieldy and heavy--but at least the collection would be beautiful.)

5.You suddenly have a free day at work, what project would you work on?
I know this sounds prosaic, but I would clean my office. I mean, REALLY clean it. Go through every file, every drawer, every book shelf. I would Marie Kondo the heck out of it. Because clearing out all that is irrelevant is the best way to bring a fresh perspective to what one does every day.

No comments: