Judy Janes, Interim Director of the University of California at Davis Law Library, recently compared Skyriver and OCLC on Spectrum Online. The following questions were used to compare the two utilities.
1. Do each provide a source for clean, full, Marc cataloging records?
2. What percentage of records sought are found in each database?
3. What are the relative costs for the services?
4. What are the notable efficiencies of each system?
5. Does the system accommodate file downloads of vendor cataloging records?
6. Do the databases provide full name authority records and Library of Congress subject headings?
7. What vital services, if any, are not provided?